hot bliggity blog 267

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

snapshots of my life: flying thru february pt.2

February was ushered in by some COLD weather!!! I do not like the cold. I have resided in the South my entire life for that very reason. Well, that and the fact that I really didn’t have a choice during the first 18 years of my life! I always said that I wasn’t born with the extra layer of skin that Northerners seem to possess. In grad school I took a class on building systems. I don’t remember much from the class but I do remember this fact: your veins sit closer to your epidermis (outer layer of skin) if you live in warmer climates than the veins of someone who lives in colder climates. For instance, if you move to another climate, from one extreme to another—say Houston to Michigan—it takes your veins about 1.5 years to adjust; burrowing deeper, away from the epidermis for a move to cold climates or shifting closer to the epidermis in the instance of a move to warmer climates. And that is your little science lesson for the year (from me, at least!).



Needless to say I have been cold. Adding in the fact that my blood pressure seems to be non-existent at times, it is safe to say that I have stayed in one state: frozen. I know some of you are looking at my thermostat and thinking that 25 degrees Fahrenheit is just the tip of the iceberg (literally), but this Southern Bell prefers her tea ICED, not steaming.


Beth Moore hosts a Tuesday Night Bible Study at her home church, Houston’s First Baptist Church. I know I have said it before but I will say it again: I am so blessed to be able to participate with her in her studies. We are currently in the middle of an 8-week study on The Life and Book of James. It has been amazing! To my fellow Beth Moore followers: I believe this study will be completed with recordings and homework in about a year’s time.


I found these BEAUTIFUL chairs in one of my most FAVORITE stores, Marshall’s! They are a hot-pink, crushed-velvet and trimmed with silver grommets on the back. I stood and started at them for at least half of my lunch break. Because I have minimal amounts of moulah in my checking account and even less space in my living quarters I had to pass them up. I went back to visit them just today and was very sad to see that they have been sold. They would have gone PERFECTLY in my new place I hope to have sometime soon. Next time I may have to take advantage of their lay-away program!


Since I have finished reading the Bible through, I have returned back to my eclectic stack of fictional reads. Having banned myself from the temptation of new books for the last 4 months I let myself back into the library the other day; oh, boy! I was like a kid in the candy store with the smell of books making me crazy! As I browsed, it seemed that every shelf I stopped on had an Irish theme. Hmmm...interesting!

A few books found their way into my arms as I left library. I’m picky with my library books, though. I’m not a germ-a-phobe but the condition and looks of some of those books really gross me out; I definitely DO judge library books by their cover!



Springtime in Houston takes on a whole ‘nother meaning when it comes time for the Houston Live Stock & Rodeo Show. I mean, it is nuts here! The roads are so congested that your best bet to get anywhere on time is to leave the day before and book a hotel across the street from your final destination. I am dead serious! I have only been to the rodeo one time since my stay in the country of Tejas but have collected several memories that revolve around the rodeo.


The first year, I was 30 minutes late to an interview because I got stuck behind one of the trail rides. I had NO IDEA what was going on. When I called the office to tell them I was behind some horses, a covered wagon, and 3 traveling port-a-potties they laughed at me and informed me that nine trail rides were coming in that day. The second year I actually had tickets to go see Brad Paisley but was rudely awakened the day of the concert with a horrendous stomach bug :( Last year (my third attempt) was a success! I got to go see Rascal Flatts with my friend Traci, her almost-husband Adam, and their bridal party. It was a blast!

One of the trail rides goes right past my new office. Everyone but me seemed to know what was going on at 10:07 last Thursday morning; all at once everyone hit ‘Ctrl + S’, jumped up from their desk, and ran outside leaving me and my cubicle neighbor’s Beanie Babies wondering in silence what was going on. While we were watching, a real cowboy came to talk to us!

I have tickets for several different concerts this year; I am excited! I may even have to get a new pair of shoes. Like boots. Oh my, what has this state done to me? Seriously though, what am I supposed to wear to trudge through hay, dirt, poop, and such? I tried sandals last year and that didn’t turn out so well.

I started working out HARDCORE on January 30, seven hours before I officially turned 27. I don’t know what snapped in me, but as I was driving home from church Sunday night, I decided that I WAS NOT OLD and that I could go run a marathon if I wanted to. Never the runner, I pranced out of my house and went on a jog/walk that lasted 45 minutes. And I have been determined ever since. I downloaded a running program, From Couch Potato to 5K in 9 Weeks, to help me along. My immediate goal: run a 5K on April 2. My long term goals: I can’t see that far ahead for the sweat dripping off my brow. But there is a future in it, this I know.



I have been an Independent Salesperson for Premier Designs Jewelry for a little over a year now. Sadly, I have not made it a priority in the past several months. I had a show on the last Saturday of February; it was a success!






Our kitchen floor was replaced at some point this month. Yay! For those of you who don't know or don't remember our kitchen floor exploded one night, sometime in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am told that pieces were snapping and jumping about 3 feet up into the air! So, for about a week, our laundry room was turned into a make-shift kitchen (the washer and dryer made a great prep space), tarps were hung over every entry in attempt to keep particles out (about 20% efficiency), and all matters of furniture, carpet and rugs were covered in the 80% of elements that escaped the well hung tarps.


The refrigerator spent a night in the Time-Out Corner


Laundry proved to be difficult; eating, too. I had to pay close attention as to what
jar I spooned from when fixing my sandwich (is that detergent?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment