hot bliggity blog 267

Sunday, November 13, 2011

football, prayer, & praises

In all of the hustle, bustle, and excitement of this past week I have neglected to record last weekend's events and share some praises and prayer requests.  Maybe it was a subconscious slip though as every single team that I cheer for went home with an 'L' :(


May I introduce you to the first praise:  Cameron Reed.  Don't you just want to eat him up?!  I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anything so precious!!!  Jeff became an uncle last week and is just beside himself.  Unfortunately his brother and SIL live too far away for a quick weekend trip so he hasn't gotten to see him yet :(  I got to meet Kevin & Liz a few weeks ago; 28 days before Cameron was born to be exact.  After picking us up at the airport and making introductions I asked Liz when she was due.  '28 MORE days' was her response.  I told her that will forever be what I remember first when I think about her.  And she made it!  I am so happy and proud of her!  Shame on her for putting that ugly double T hat on him, though.  I will blame it on the drugs and IV for now :)  Congratulations Kevin & Liz!!!
Last weekend we journeyed over to Austin for more football.  I realized while we at the game that we have now been in all 3 of the large state schools' football stadiums this season!  Quite an accomplishment!  Unfortunately it was an awful day in our football world as every single team we care anything about went home with an 'L'.  It was not good I tell you.  Thankfully, though, we were hosted by good friends and that helped make up for it!  We were introduced to Frank's.  Ever been to Frank's?!  Oh.  My.  Word.  Pure craziness is what it was.  The menu consists of hotdogs, bacon, & chocolate.  And if you ask them to 'Pork It', your dog will be served to you stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, and deep fried.  *Heart patients should probably think twice before going here.

On our way out of the city we stopped by the capital and walked around a little bit.  It is so pretty!  I've never been inside but hope to get back there soon and tour it.  They have this really cool 'inverted rotunda' out in front of the building that allows light down into the underground levels of the complex.




Unfortunately I have to leave you on a sad note and prayer request.  Last week, a family friend from back home suffered a stroke and heart attack.  Fortunately she was at the hospital when this happened as she was at M.D. Anderson regarding the cancer that she has been fighting for a while now.  She was unconscious for about 4 days and hospitalized for close to a week.  She ['Miss' Faye] made miraculous improvements, however, and was transported by ambulance the 7 hours down I-10 back to Louisiana where she will continue her recovery at a rehabilitation center back home.  I know her husband and sons are thankful to have her close to their homes.

When I think of Miss Faye, the first thing that I remember was her dedication to the choir kids on Wednesday nights.  Her and her husband, Mr. David, 'held down the fort' [in this case the gym] every single Wednesday night that I can remember--guarding the door for escapees, protecting the 1st graders from the bigger 6th graders, and occasionally refereeing what could be some very intense games of basketball/dodge ball/red rover.  The second thing I think of is her hair.  She had some of the longest, healthiest, prettiest hair I'd ever seen on a female older than 18.  And it always suited her!  Probably because she is so tall.  Which brings me to the third thing that I think of when I think of Miss Faye: her height.  As I kept growing, and growing, and growing, she was one of the ladies in our church who helped me realize that being taller than the average female [and a substantial percentage of males] might not be that bad after all.  Sure you can't always wear the 5" heals but gaining 5 pounds probably won't put you in the next pants size as your weight has more places to go!

Several people from our home church traveled over to visit her, some of which stayed with us.  If I can, I would like to take a moment and brag on our church family and friends that we grew to love and cherish over my family's 20+ year tenure in Louisiana.  I don't think that a closer, more supportive group of people exists.  I really don't.  Any one of them is willing to drop everything and meet you where you need them at only a moment's notice.  We are all so blessed and I know that Miss Faye and her family greatly appreciated those that made the journey over to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment