hot bliggity blog 267

Saturday, November 27, 2010

B90X wk 8: He's still workin' on me

Text covered: Isaiah 14, Jeremiah 33:22

Memory verse: Isaiah 58:11: ‘The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. you will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.’

Reading Status: ‘Red’






Isaiah 64:8 & 9 says, 'Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. Do not be angry beyond measure, O Lord; do not remember our sins forever. Oh, look upon us, we pray, for we are all your people.' This verse reminds me of a Sunday School song that has been in the background of my thoughts for the past several months. I am sure you have heard it; it goes something like this:

'He's still workin' on me.
To make me what I ought to be.
It took him just a week to make the moon and stars,
The Sun and Earth and Jupiter and Mars.'

This song has been constantly playing on my inner stereo (heart) this past month. As children this simple song makes perfect sense. At 5 years old, 3.5 feet tall, we can easily see that God is still working on us. However, at this age, we are unable to comprehend the symbolism of what the lyrics are really saying. I bet you thought the lyrics simply talked about what you were going to be and do physically. I know I did. What will I be when we grow up? Where will I be? Will I have 3 kids like Mommy and Daddy?

As adults, we probably do the same thing when we hear this song. We may Ooh and Aah at the Kindergarten choir singing to the congregation because little Billy is screaming at the top of his lungs and sweet little Susie is waving at her parents. We might think, oh how cute....Yes, He does have a lot of work to do in those kids.

What's crazy though is the message, revealed in such simple lyrics, ingrained in our heads from birth is still real even after we 'grow up'. God has done so much in me but thankfully He is not done yet! I feel like I have so far to go and with each new thing that He reveals to me I realize how much more work is still to be done.


A few passages that spoke to me:
Isaiah 53:5-6.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him
and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

Isaiah 54:10.
"Though the mountains be shaken
and the hills be removed,
yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
nor my covenant of peace be removed,"
says the Lord, who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 55:12.
You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the tress of the field
will clap their hands.

Isaiah 59:1
Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save,
nor his ear too dull to hear.

Jeremiah 29:11-14a
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment